Welcome to the Algo Trading Challenge 2021 (Singapore).
Ideate your trading algorithms, test on a robust back-testing platform, and compete to make a name for yourself!
Gain professional industry knowledge and practical skills to prepare yourself as the next-gen algo-trading professional. All undergraduate and postgraduate students from any faculty at participating universities are eligible.
Create teams of 1~4 members with diverse skills (maths, statistics, finance, coding, presentation) and register by 20 Jun 2021.
Registered teams of 1-4 students will prepare a short trading proposal consisting of:
• Executive summary
• Trading idea description/logic
• Team biography
• Trading algorithm code
Trading algorithms are coded and tested on ALGOGENE’s back-testing engine before submission
Submission deadline: 20 Aug 2021
Each team will submit one set of API key from an IG live account for live test
Algorithm will start to run in live market from 1-Sep-2021 2pm to 30-Sep-2021 2pm
12 outstanding teams will be selected to participate in the final round to fight for Best Sharpe and Best Strategy Design
Result announced: 1 Oct 2021
A new seperate set of data will be provided to test the trading algorithm of each team for Best Sharpe
Teams will present trading plan to judges in a 5-minute pitch session
Judges will select winners in each of these categories:
• Best Sharpe
• Best Live Return
• Best Strategy Design
Final Day: 23 Oct 2021
More sponsors joining ...
There are 3 award categories: (A) Best Sharpe (B) Best Live Return (C) Best Strategy Design.
The winning teams from each category will be entitled to:
• 1st: S$1,888
• 2nd: S$888
• 3rd: S$288
All prize winners will receive a participation certificate
All prize winners will get 1-year free subscription of ALGOGENE's back-testing platform
All prize winners will get 2-month free subscription of AI robo-adivsior, AO Summit from Finbot Limited
All prize winners may have a chance to have internship / full-time employment from the Organisers
Algo Trading Challenge
Gain professional industry knowledge and practical skills to prepare yourself as the next-gen algo-trading professional !Register Now
The dataset provided includes the latest trading records and bid-ask updates by the hour, and covers data from normal trading hours within every trading day from Jan 2010 to Dec 2019. Kindly note that data provided is strictly for trading strategy prototyping purposes only. Final round evaluations will be carried out using a new data set with the same structure but from a different time period. Thus, over-fitting of the data set is discouraged.
• Foreign Exchange CFDs
• Commodity CFDs
• Equity Index CFDs
Provide access to required historical data for model development and testing
• Market data
• Economic Statistics
A good strategy does not only need to be profitable, but it is also important to take care of the risk management.
• Trading algorithm will be submitted and ALGOGEN's trading system will back-test the strategies.
• The team with the highest Sharpe will win this award.
Best Live Return
A good return is the primary goal of every algo trading strategy.
• To allow the best live stimulation, each participating group will be setting up live account to test out the trading strategies of teams to ascertain outcomes.
• The team with the highest return in one month live demo will win this award.
Best Strategy Design
Participants' knowledge and skills in developing the best algo trading strategy that demonstrated the following:
• Trading Strategy Logic: reasonable return, manageable risk, stability and predictability;
• Creativity: innovative use of statistical models, parameters, forecasting methodology or interpretation of data and novel ideas based on existing theory and models; and
• Execution Potential: a realistic strategy and full consideration of factors including capital, trading time, market impact and risk management.
- The Challenge is open to students from singapore, malaysia and vietnam (students with valid school registration for the current school year).
- All members of the same contestant team must be from the same university.
- All individual contestants must register with their school email addresses only. Failure to register with university email address will result in disqualification.
- Each individual contestant is only allowed to be in one team.
- Each team must elect one representative to liaise with the organizers.
- All entries must be the original work of the contestant team. Any form of plagiarism is prohibited and the contestant team will be disqualified from the Challenge.
- Each individual contestant is required to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement with the organizers.
- Finalists must present valid Student ID cards and provide a copy for verification.
- The judging panel’s decision of the Challenge results is final. The organizers reserve the right to the final decision in all other areas.
- An online briefing session will be arranged in June-2021 to answer any inquiries about the Challenge.
Q: If a person is in overseas, Malaysia and Vietnam, can he still join the competition via zoom? Or he has to come to Singapore physically?
A: As this contest will take place via Zoom, overseas, Malaysia or Vietnam participants are still able to join the contest. As long as the candidates are current students with the same school, you are welcome to partner up with students who are not physically in Singapore. Online or Physical Award Ceremony on the Final Day will be arranged according to Covid-19 situation.
Q: What are the Awards?
A: There will be 3 winning teams for each category (Best Sharpe, Best Live Return, Best Strategy Design). Winning teams would be receiving cash prices and winner kit during the award ceremony.
Q: How do teams receive their award if they are overseas.
A: Representative of the team will receive their award by mail. Winner kit will be sent in a courier box by special delivery or express mail services depending on your country.
Q: Is it possible to be the winning team for all 3 categories?
A: Teams would have the chance to compete in all 3 categories (Best Sharpe, Best Live Return, Best Strategic Design). Top 3 teams would be selected base on the judging criteria for each category.
Q: Will every individual participant required to submit API Key?
A: Participating teams would only need to submit one set of API Key. For more information on the API key, please visit https://www.ig.com/sg/trading-platforms/trading-apis.
Q: Who should we contact if we have problems opening the live (demo) account for the purpose of the algo challenge?
A: Please contact us at +65 6909 5923 or drop us an email at email@example.com.
Q: Are participants required to run algorithm in live market?
A: To compete in the Best Live Return category, each team would only need to submit one (1) set of API Key by 31 August 2021 to allow algorithm to sync up with the live market from 1st September 2021 to 30th September 2021.
Form a team of 1~4 members with diverse skills (maths, statistics, finance, coding, presentation) and register by 20 Jun 2021.